The Domaine de Taysse is located in Corrèze at the crossroads of many tourist sites between the Millevaches plateau, the Dordogne Valley and Périgord. It spans 91 hectares at the edge of two Communes, Espagnac and Saint Martial de Gimel, on the “plateau of the Étangs”.
Approximately half of the Domaine is covered by woodland comprising of hardwoods : beech, oak, birch & chestnut, which frame softwood plantations ofDouglas firs and larch. The other half of the surface area is made up by the two Étangs (lakes). This natural site between forests, étangs and bogs is populated with a rich and varied flora, indeed otters are present in the big étang, confirming its natural and wild status.
The site of the Étangs de Taysse is rich in history whose fields were once farmed by Celts, remains of which have been revealed and analyzed during the emptying of the large étang in 2005.
The Gallo-Romans later installed a defence and observation post to monitor the “Wine Road” or “Salt Road” leading from the Valley of the Dordogne to the Corrèze mountains. This site has undergone the vicissitudes of history, particularly during the revolution, and belonged to different families, finally being acquired in 1974 by the Committee of Social Actions of the urban community of Lille. This acquisition and the many facilities that have come and gone over the last 40 years have helped many northerners to discover the beauties of the Corrèze. 2010 was the last season...
Rediscovered in September 2014, Yves and Cathy bought the Domaine in June 2015, since when they have been preparing to open its doors and to take advantage of its exceptional setting. The bodies of water in the Domaine de Taysse have the status of “fish pens, constructed prior to the abolition of the feudal system as shown on the CASSINI map*. These two bodies of water have the right of enclosure in their title deeds. These rights (based in title) are the rights exclusively attached to hydraulic works for the use of windmills, ponds or irrigation. Indeed on the dike (dam) of the larger étang stands the "Manor" that was originally a water mill which was remodelled in the 19th century into housing, today called "the Manor"...
* The CASSINI Map, drawn up by order of King Louis XV, is the oldest of French maps made entirely to scale topographically. It was also the first map measured by Cassini de Thury of the Academy Royale des Sciences from 1683 to 1744.
Download the map